Summer is here! This time of year brings all sorts of lovely things: Camping, beach outings, hiking, swimming, and the most important of all… gelato.
However, with the delights of Summer come some slightly less pleasant realities… post-swimming hair, glistening (sweating) and the traumatic experience that is swimwear shopping. We would have added sun damage to the list but, thankfully, there are simple ways to enjoy the outdoors without the sun causing harmful effects to your skin, which is one less thing to worry about!
Read on for some great tips to keep your skin safe and pretty this Summer…
• Eat red fruits and vegetables – We know that what we eat has a large influence on the appearance of skin, but did you know that some foods influence how your skin reacts to sunlight? Red fruits and vegetables have lycopene, a red carotenoid which protects the skin against sunburn and skin cancer. These fruits and vegetables can provide as much as 3 SPF naturally, in addition to being healthy and hydrating.
• Wide brimmed hats – Traditional baseball caps provide limited protection, failing to protect your neck and even parts of your face. Wide Brimmed hats provide a fashionable and functional solution for giving shade wherever you go, covering some of the most sensitive skin on your body. Best of all they look terrific at the beach!
• Sunglasses – Sunglasses are great for protecting your eyes, but it is important to have sunglasses large enough to protect your eyes and the skin around them. The skin around your eyes is the thinnest, and even strong sunblock will fail to prevent damage. Find a great pair of sunglasses and take them with you wherever you go.
• Cold showers – After a day outside one of your first desires is to shower. However one of the worst things you could do is turn the temperature up. Once your skin has been exposed to the warm sun a hot shower will only serve to further dry out your skin. A cool shower prevents your skin from drying out, and can even prevent acne breakouts.
• The right sunblock – It’s not enough just find a sunblock with a high SPF, you need to find one that is gentle on the skin. Find a sunblock that is oil free and doesn’t contain too many harsh chemicals, otherwise you will be just exchanging one form of skin damage for another. Apply the sunblock you choose liberally (even when it is cloudy), especially on the face, hands, and ears. Need a recommendation? We love Zinc Oxide Sunscreen for protection and help with looking pretty!
• What to do if you already have damaged skin – Mistakes are made, and sunburns and skin damage still happen even when you are being cautious. To repair damage or even just to maintain what you have, use the Obagi skin care system. It is the leading skin care system in the world, and will do wonders for your skin. If you aren’t sure what treatment or skincare products to use, come visit one of our 3 Elase locations and speak with one of our skincare specialists. We offer free skin profiles to all our clients with a skincare regimen treatment plan based on your individual results.
Follow these tips to give your skin the protection it deserves!